Law student had ordered the "Trrlli Peachie O" branded product via a cellphone messaging app. An AP investigation shows that a troubling number of CBD products are spiked with synthetic marijuana, which can cause comas, psychotic behavior, and death. 23-year-old from Ilford and friend ate ‘gummy’ synthetic cannabinoid from packet bought via message app, police say
Woman Dies After Eating Synthetic Cannabinoid Gummies She Ordered Online
A law student died after eating synthetic cannabinoid candies she had delivered to her home, police believe.
British woman Damilola Grace Olakanmi, 23, and her 21-year-old American friend both fell ill after each consuming just one of the ‘gummy’ candies at Olakanmi’s house in Ilford, London.
The pair ate the gummies at around 11:30 p.m. on April 29, and both were hospitalized, with an air ambulance flying Olakanmi to a hospital in nearby Romford, Essex.
Two women were hospitalized in London when they fell ill after eating synthetic cannabinoid candy, with one of the pair later dying. Pictured: An ambulance at an accident and emergency department at a hospital in Bradford, U.K. Getty Images
London’s Metropolitan Police said they are investigating whether the death may be linked to another case in March, which saw a woman rushed to hospital after eating a similar product in the London borough of Tower Hamlets.
Detectives are seeking to discover whether the two incidents were caused by the same batch of candy.
Olakanmi had bought the “Trrlli Peachie O” branded candy through a cellphone messaging app and they were later delivered to her home. Her American friend, a student visiting the UK, has now been discharged from the hospital.
Olakanmi’s mother Wumi Olakanmi reportedly kept a vigil by her daughter’s bedside until her death on Saturday.
One of the family’s relatives, Richard Taylor spoke to the Evening Standard and said: “Wumi has lost her only child—she has nothing now.
“They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support.
“It’s a tragic warning to all young people about how they live their lives. They should resist drugs.
“Damilola was a promising young woman who should be looking forward to her future and having children of her own. She was studying law.”
Another relative, named only as Dunni, added Olakanmi was “very kind and loved looking after children and wanted to please everyone.”
Officers have warned against eating drug-laced candy and said a number of gummies have been recovered and are being tested.
Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell, of the Met’s East Area Basic Command Unit, said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis candies.
- Marijuana Decriminalization Bill Passes House, Heads to Senate
- Marijuana Sales Drop Drastically as U.S. Eases Back Pandemic Rules
- Drugs Found in Late Foo Fighters Drummer Taylor Hawkins’ Body Explained
“Please do not buy or consume these products. They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption.
“The particular batch of [candies] were contained in packaging featuring Trrlli Peachie O’s branding. It has not been confirmed at this stage where the [candies] were manufactured.
“Drug dealers harm communities and risk the safety of individuals. We will take positive action to target those engaged in this activity as well as those found in possession of these substances.”
Police arrested a man on Friday in connection with the incident. They said he had a large quantity of cash on him and what were believed to be edible cannabis products. He was later charged with a number of suspected offenses, including possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid, and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.
A post-mortem examination will be arranged in order to confirm Olakanmi’s cause of death, the Met said.
Correction, 4/6/22, 8:00 a.m. ET: This article has been updated to indicate that the items consumed contained synthetic cannabinoids, and not “marijuana.”
Some CBD Tainted With Substance That Causes Death, Comas, Insanity
Thanks to patchwork regulation, a number of CBD products contain stuff that could cause a psychotic episode — or even kill you.
A troubling trend: vapes and other products advertised as containing CBD are actually spiked with synthetic marijuana, a dangerous drug that’s been linked with deaths, serious hospitalizations, and psychosis.
Poring over a collection of police records and the findings of its own investigation into CBD products, The Associated Press found that many products labeled as CBD products only contain trace amounts of the chemical, which advocates claim treats a range of medical maladies.
But many contained dangerous synthetic marijuana — and tracking down the perpetrators meant leaping down a rabbit hole of weak government regulations and shady business practices.
In a separate report, the AP found that 128 of the 350 CBD products tested by American law enforcement agencies contained synthetic marijuana, as did ten of the 30 tested by the AP.
“It’s Russian roulette,” James Neal-Kababick told the AP. He’s the director of Flora Research Laboratories, which the AP commissioned to run the tests CBD products. Synthetic marijuana poses an ongoing problem that’s unrelated to recent cases of a mysterious “vape lung” illness.
The AP also profiled cases like one in which a college student fell into a coma after two hits of a spiked CBD vape. In Utah, that same brand hospitalized 33 people. In another case, an eight-year-old boy was hospitalized when his parents tried to treat his seizures with spiked CBD oil. In Europe, the synthetic marijuana that popped up in the AP‘s investigation has killed 11. In those and other cases investigated by the AP, the products’ packaging made no mention of synthetic marijuana.
The FDA is in charge of regulating CBD because it’s approved at least one pharmaceutical that uses the drug as an active ingredient. A spokesperson told the AP that if synthetic marijuana is found in a product, it becomes the DEA’s problem. But a DEA spokesperson told the AP that synthetic marijuana is a low priority for the agency.
“As long as it remains unregulated like it currently is,” Virginia Commonwealth University researcher Michelle Peace told the AP, “you just give a really wide space for nefarious activity to continue.”
Woman dies in east London after eating ‘cannabis sweet’
A woman has died in east London after eating a suspected “cannabis sweet”.
The 23-year-old from Ilford bought the “gummies” via a messaging app on her phone and they were delivered to her home in Ilford on 29 March, the Metropolitan police said. The sweets came in packaging branded “Trrlli Peachie O’s”.
The woman and her 21-year-old friend ate one each and immediately became ill. Paramedics were called to the house on the same night, and the two women were taken to hospital.
Despite treatment the 23-year-old, who has not yet been named, died on 2 April. A postmortem is still to take place. Her friend has been discharged from hospital.
Leon Brown, 37, from Croydon, has been charged with possession with intent to supply a class B synthetic cannabidoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance. He was arrested on Friday in connection with the death.
Scotland Yard said he was found in possession of a large quantity of money and what were believed to be edible cannabis products. He was to appear at Barkingside magistrates court on Monday.
Some of the sweets have been recovered and are now being tested. Officers believe the case could be linked to another incident in March in which a woman was taken to hospital after eating a cannabis sweet in nearby Tower Hamlets.
She has since been discharged, but an investigation is under way to find out whether the sweet was from the same batch involved in the Ilford death, and to examine whether there are any other similar incidents.
Ch Supt Stuart Bell said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis sweets.”
He urged people to come forward with any information about people selling similar products.
Parents have previously been warned about sweets laced with cannabis after they found their way into the hands of children.
Two 13-year-old boys were taken to hospital in Merseyside in July last year after eating sweets, and detectives in Greater Manchester told parents to be on alert during Halloween season trick-or-treating.
The headline and standfirst of this article was amended on 4 April 2022 to clarify that the sweet was believed to be a synthetic cannabinoid.